2) Do people feel safe enough to travel to your event, given potential travel and lodging challenges?
3) Will corporate travel restrictions prevent too many attendees from attending, regardless of their individual interest in participating? Are corporations afraid of their employees suing them for sending them to events where they get sick?
4) Will the possibility of quarantine restrictions – when attendees return home – prevent enough from coming?
5) Will an in-person event still be relevant to its audience, given alternative (perhaps more “COVID-friendly”) options for engaging with colleagues in the industry? Does my event offer unique access to the “right people” otherwise not available?
6) Have you surveyed prospective attendees and developed confidence that enough have interest in returning, given the above considerations?
7) Have you calculated the minimum number of attendees needed for you to break even financially?
8) Have you calculated the minimum number of attendees needed to retain/sign up exhibitors?
9) Will your venue be able to host the number of attendees you mist have to both break even and satisfy your exhibitors given COVID-19 meeting requirements?
Ask yourself when YOU are interested in attending an event in the future:
2) Do I feel safe to travel to the event (airport, flight, cab, hotel, etc.)?
3) Am I restrained by corporate travel restrictions?
4) Will the fact that I might have to quarantine when I get home stop me from going?
5) Is the event still relevant given all my COVID-19 options (instead of virtual events, other ways with engaging with other people in the industry etc.)? Will the ‘right’ people be there?
I’d like to see more press about how the value we offer to our customers is driving decisions to move forward with face to face events, with less attention paid to the virus-centric logistical barriers, important as those are. These safety standards are a pre-requisite and we ‘get’ it.
In the end, the needs – and concerns – of our customers will drive decisions. After all, without an audience, there is no event.
Here is the latest PCMA COVID-19 Recovery Dashboard Findings: https://www.pcma.org/business-